Apply to hold a street party for Car Free Day 2019
To celebrate Car Free Day on Sunday 22 September, we will be encouraging residents across the borough to apply to close their road and encourage children to play in the streets where they live.
The deadline for applications is Friday 23 August 2019.
Before you start
- Make sure you have read the guidance on holding a street party.
- Demonstrate that most residents have agreed to this event, by showing signatures (template available).
- If you are planning a road closure you will also need to consult businesses in the wider area that may be affected.
We want to ensure that people are happy with this event, so if there are any objections you should let us know. We may be able to help you resolve any objections.
Costs for closing the road have been waived for Car Free Day on Sunday 22 September 2019.
If you are formally closing your road, there must be very clear signs placed on display at the road closure points. Appropriate signs can be hired from most hire shops or from the Council at a charge of £30 for two barriers and two road closed signs.
You will need
Before you start the form you will need the following:
- The name of the road you are proposing to close and the dates and times of closure. Please note the maximum road closure is for four hours duration.
- A brief list of properties affected.
- A statement to say if most residents have agreed to this event or not.
- If the road/s you wish to close are used by through traffic, you will need to attach a traffic plan showing the exact extent of the closure and an alternative route for traffic.
- If you are planning a road closure, you will also need to consult any businesses in the wider area that may be affected. If you have already consulted them, you will need to attach a copy of your consultation invitation or notice and confirm the date it was sent.
What happens next
Once you have submitted your form and any attachments we will look at what you are proposing, will process your application for a road closure and will get back to you to let you know the outcome of your application.
The links below provide helpful templates to help you to organise your street party: