Pay Council Tax by Direct Debit
You can choose to pay on the 4, 11, 15, 18 or 25 of each month. You will need your:
- Bank details
- Council Tax account reference - this is on the top right hand side of your Council Tax bill. View an example of a Council Tax bill to see where your account reference number is.
Set up a Direct Debit:
You can set up a Direct Debit for your Council Tax payment online or by telephone.
Once set up, you will get a confirmation email at midnight. You will also get an email when your new bill is ready.
Call 020 8871 7799.
Once set up, you will get a letter in the next few days confirming the Direct Debit is set up and a bill showing your instalments.
Benefits of paying by Direct Debit
Paying by Direct Debit has the following advantages:
- You can choose from five different payment dates to suit your convenience
- Payments are automatic - helping to keep your payments up to date and avoid reminders, final notices or summons
- The service is completely online eliminating post office queues and relying on cheques to be delivered
- Refunds are guaranteed in the event of error by the Council and the banking system
- The Direct Debit instruction will continue year on year until you decide to cancel the arrangement. There will be no need to complete forms each year or if your annual amount payable changes
- It costs us less to process helping to keep your Council Tax low