Preparation for a street party

Once your application has been approved by us you will need to arrange signage and closure of the street.

Signs and barriers

At each barrier you must securely place a 'Road Closed' sign, and if required, a 'Diversion' sign with an appropriate arrow direction.

In some cases, you must also provide diversion signs along the diversion route. Signs reading 'Diverted Traffic' with an arrow pointing in the appropriate direction must be clearly displayed and securely fixed along the alternative route. These must be regulation signs (not drawn or printed).

You can hire regulation signs, cones and barriers for your party from our depot. These must be collected and returned to the depot, you are advised to book early:

Frogmore Stores
Frogmore Complex
Dormay Street
London SW18 1EY

Opening hours are from 7.30am to 4.30pm.

Alternatively, regulation signs can be hired or purchased from tool and equipment specialists such as HSS Hire and Speedy Hire.

Cost of signs and barriers

  • An approximate price for two 'Road Closed' signs plus two barriers is £30
  • Additional signs will cost an extra £5 per sign

How to close a street

The street must be closed to vehicles at each end of the party area. Do this by putting up barriers which are easy to notice.

These barriers must be staffed throughout the duration of the closure. Choose a responsible person capable of moving the barrier quickly in the event of an emergency vehicle requiring access. Note:

  • A street party will not be permitted on a bus route.
  • There must always be unrestricted access for pedestrians.

Emergency vehicles

There should be access for emergency service vehicles at all times.

4 metre (approx 13') width for the length of the closure is to be kept clear for emergency vehicles.

How long to close the street for

We will consider the closure for the hours requested and will agree if not excessive. Taking noise into account a street party finish time of 8pm is reasonable.

For further information contact: