Voting in elections in the United Kingdom

Every British, Commonwealth or Republic of Ireland citizen over the age of 18 living in the UK is eligible to vote in this country's elections. 

European Union citizens over the age of 18 are eligible to vote at local elections, including local Council elections and Mayor of London and London Assembly elections, along with European Parliamentary elections in the United Kingdom.

European Union citizens over the age of 18 are not eligible to vote at UK Parliamentary elections or national referendums.

Can you vote automatically if you qualify?

You can only vote if your name is on the electoral register (also referred to as the voters' list).  

If you live at more than one address during the year

You can register for more than one address if you are a student studying away from home at college or university, as you can register to vote at both your home and term-time address.

You can also register at two addresses if you have a second home and live there regularly, as long as your second home is not also in Wandsworth.

Both students and those with a second home have the right to vote in respect of both addresses at the time of a local election but must choose only one address to vote in respect of when Parliamentary elections are held.

If you are a member of the Armed Forces

You can register as a service voter if you are a member of the armed forces or the spouse or civil partner of someone in the armed forces. 

You can find further information and details on how to register as a service voter (Electoral Commission website), including how to vote if you are abroad on the day of an election or referendum.

If you have no fixed address

Register to vote with no fixed address (Electoral Commission website).

If you are concerned about your name appearing on the register

Choose to opt out of the open register

In some cases it is possible to register anonymously.