Correct a birth registration

Customer notice

Admission to the office is by appointment only. Customers without an appointment will not be admitted and should not travel to the office. Please contact us via email or telephone.

A legal record can only be corrected by making a formal application and paying the statutory fee. 

What you need

In order to apply for a correction, an application form needs to be completed stating what the error is and how it was made.

Documentary evidence showing the correct information will need to be produced in order for the correction to be authorised. Information on what will be accepted as documentary evidence can be found in the guidance notes.

Please state in the form whether you want to go to the Register Office to witness the correction, or if you are happy for it to be made without you there.

Where to apply

An application can be made directly to GRO or at the local register office where the birth registration is held.

If an application is made through the local register office the original documents can be photocopied and certified.

You can also make your application through us by bringing the completed form and documentary evidence to the Register Office from Monday to Friday between 9am and 4pm.