Town Hall ceremony rooms
COVID-19: Further to Government announcements on the easing of lockdown restrictions, some services have now resumed on limited basis. Please go to the individual service webpage for further details.
Admission to the office is by appointment only. Customers without an appointment will not be admitted and should not travel to the office. Please contact us via email or telephone.
Wandsworth Town Hall was originally opened by Queen Mary in 1937. It is a Grade II listed building noted for its original art deco design and grand marble hall. With a choice of five rooms of differing sizes and styles it is the perfect setting for your ceremony.
Room tours take place every Saturday morning (excluding public holidays). If you wish to join us please come to the Marble Hall Reception where you will be collected at 9am. Booking is not required.
For all rooms, your marriage or civil partnership notice should list The Town Hall, Wandsworth High Street, London in the description. Notices bearing the incorrect description will be invalid.
- The Mayor's Parlour: capacity 10 (Reduced to 6 during COVID recovery)
- The Elizabeth Room: capacity 10 (Reduced to 4 during COVID recovery)
- The Victoria Room: capacity 25 (Reduced to 15 during COVID recovery)
- The Alexandra Room: capacity 45 (Reduced to 15 during COVID recovery)
- The Grand Chamber: capacity 100 (Reduced to 15 during COVID recovery)
Room capacities include all attendees including the couple, witnesses, guests, and children. The capacity does not include venue staff, registrars, or photographers.
Photographer attendance is limited to one per ceremony, where they can be safely accommodated. Due to the COVID-Secure capacity limits set for the Elizabeth Room, Victoria Room, and Mayor’s Parlour, your photographer must be included in the maximum capacity stated above.
You can view prices and book your ceremony through our booking page.
Planning the ceremony
After making your booking you will receive a confirmation email with important information about the legal preliminaries and a link to your ceremony guide, planner and choice of ceremony. Your ceremony planner should be returned to the Register Office no later than two weeks before the ceremony.
On the day of the ceremony
Before the ceremony can begin the Registrar will need to check personal information with the couple in a pre-ceremony interview. You must therefore arrive 15 minutes before the start of your ceremony with your two witnesses and guests.
- Parties having their ceremony in the Elizabeth Room or the Victoria Room, will see the Registrar together.
- Parties having their ceremony in the Alexandra Room, Grand Chamber or Mayor’s Parlour can choose to see the Registrar separately or together. Separate questioning usually takes place when one of the parties wishes to remain unseen until making their entrance. It is only possible to accommodate this in these rooms.
- Parties having their ceremony in the Grand Chamber or at another approved venue can chose to see the Registrar together or separately. If separate questioning is required, please also inform the venue. The Registrar will arrive at the venue 30 minutes before the start of the ceremony.
Your guests are very welcome to take photographs and film throughout the ceremony. We ask, however, that it does not become intrusive or disrupt the ceremony.
After the ceremony, in the Town Hall, you may take photographs in the magnificent art deco marbled hall with its sweeping stairway. There is also a garden, and the secluded courtyard with its own fountain and imposing main entrance with stepped approach. This is perfect for those final group photographs.
We ask all ceremony parties to be considerate of other users of the Town Hall. There may be other people having ceremonies on the same day or council employees working in the building. We ask that you keep noise to a minimum and avoid blocking entrances and walkways.
In the Town Hall we offer a wide selection of classical and contemporary music but if there is any special music that you would like us to play please bring it along before the ceremony. Music systems with multi-functional output are available in each room. For approved venues the music must be provided and organised with the chosen venue.
On a Saturday there are two car parks at the Town Hall providing ample parking for you and your guests. Parking in the courtyard is limited to two cars per ceremony and parking permits will be supplied on request. Your other guests can park in the second larger Town Hall car park.
During the week we regret we are unable to provide parking facilities. However, we can accommodate at least one car in the courtyard car park by prior arrangement. Other guests may use nearby street parking or the NCP car park at the Southside shopping centre. A map showing all these facilities is shown on your ceremony appointment card.
At approved venues there is usually parking available by arrangement, please check with your chosen venue.