Emergency accommodation

If you need to exit this page quickly, click on an Exit page link to be taken to the BBC website's weather pages. These links are spread throughout this page.

It may be unsafe for you to remain in your home. Or you might need somewhere to stay while you get assistance to return to your home in safety or to find somewhere else to live.

Find information about leaving safely on Refuge website

If you need to leave your home, you may want to consider:

  • Staying temporarily with relatives or friends
  • Finding a women's refuge. Refuges are safe houses where women and children can stay safe from violence. Call the National Domestic Violence Helpline on 0808 2000 247
  • Making a homelessness application

Exit page 

Homelessness application

You can approach any local authority for an assessment if you are at risk of homelessness due to violence. While your case is investigated you may be placed in emergency accommodation.

Even if you have somewhere to live, the law says that you may be considered homeless if it is probable that continuing to stay there will lead to violence against you.

For further advice or to make a homelessness application, contact our Homelessness Prevention Team by email housingadvice@wandsworth.gov.uk.

Stay put stay safe

The Stay Put Stay Safe scheme is for people affected by domestic violence and victims of hate crime. If you are being threatened or physically harmed by someone who does not live with you, you do not need to leave your home. We may be able to make it a safer place to live by improving the security of your home. We may use a range of measures such as new locks, heavy-duty doors, additional window security and safe rooms.

The scheme is open to all Wandsworth residents, although if you have a private landlord or a Housing Association landlord we would need their written consent to fit any additional security.

To apply contact the Accommodation Procurement Team on 020 8871 7333. You can be referred by a support agency, such as the police, victim support, a social worker or estate manager.

Exit page