Support available in the borough for paying bills.

Scam warning

There is currently an increase in scams related to the cost of living and government energy rebates. Find out how to keep safe.

Reduce your energy usage

Find out more about how to reduce your energy usage and bills.

Not sure what bills to pay first?

The MoneyHelper Bill Prioritiser can help you put your bills in the right order and tell you what to do if you are struggling to pay.

Fuel grants

Wandsworth residents can apply for Crisis Assistance for food and fuel.

Disability Cost of Living Payment

Individuals on disability benefits would have already received a one-off £150 payment in September to help with extra costs, such as for specialist equipment or transport. This is in addition to the £650 Cost of Living Payment for disabled people who also receive means tested benefits.

Check your eligibility for the Disability Cost of Living Payment (GOV.UK).

Report a missing Cost of Living Payment

You can report a missing Cost of Living Payment if you think you should have had one of the following payments but you cannot see it in your bank, building society or credit union account.

You can report one of the following benefits payment as missing:

  • £150 Disability Cost of Living Payment
  • £326 Cost of Living Payment for a low income benefit or tax credits

Do not report the same missing payment more than once. Report a missing Cost of Living Payment.

Winter Fuel Payments

In the winter months pensioners can get between £100 and £300 to help pay heating bills. This winter, they can also receive an extra one-off £300 Pensioner Cost of Living Payment, which will be paid as an automatic top-up to the Winter Fuel Payment.

Find out more about the Winter Fuel Payment (GOV.UK).

Warm Home Discount Scheme

You could get £150 off your electricity bill for winter. The money is not paid to you - it's a one-off discount on your electricity bill, between October 2022 and March 2023.

You may be able to get the discount on your gas bill instead if your supplier provides you with both gas and electricity. Contact your supplier to find out.

The discount will not affect your Cold Weather Payment or Winter Fuel Payment.

Find out more about the Warm Home Discount Scheme (GOV.UK).

Cold Weather Payment

If you’re getting certain benefits or Support for Mortgage Interest, you may be able to get a Cold Weather Payment if the average temperature in your area is recorded as, or forecast to be, 0OC or below over seven consecutive days. Next year's scheme will start on 1 November 2022. Cold Weather Payments are different to Winter Fuel Payments.

Find out more about the Cold Weather Payment (GOV.UK).

Energy Bills Support Scheme (EBSS)

All households with a domestic electricity connection in Great Britain are eligible for a £400 non-repayable discount to eligible households to help with energy bills from October. There is no need to apply for the discount. Energy suppliers will deliver this support to GB households with a domestic electricity connection over six months from October 2022.

Prepayment meter users will get equivalent vouchers to redeem, which are valid for 90 days. Your supplier should have your contact details, but if you’re not sure or you don’t receive any information from them, you should check that they have your latest number and email.

If you get vouchers you will need to redeem them at a top-up point. Your supplier will tell you where to redeem them, for example at a Post Office branch or a PayPoint shop. Make sure you redeem them as soon as possible, and within the 90 day limit.

Find out more about the Energy Bills Support Scheme (GOV.UK).

EBSS - alternative funding

This scheme is for households who do not have a domestic electricity supply contract, and so were not eligible for the automatic £400 EBSS payment.

Households who pay for energy through a landlord or housing manager, or as part of a service charge, rent or other arrangement, can apply for this funding. This includes, but not limited to, caravan park homes and houseboats.

Find out more and apply for EBSS alternative funding (GOV.UK).

Alternative Fuel Payment Fund

If your household is not connected to mains gas, and you use alternative fuels as your main form of heating, you may be eligible for a £200 payment.

This is in addition to £400 from your electricity supplier.

You can apply for this payment (GOV.UK) if you have not received it and think you should have.

Citizens Advice Wandsworth

Citizens Advice Wandsworth provide specialist advice on a range of issues such as claiming benefits, employment issues, housing, immigration, debt, tax, advice for EU citizens etc.

Energy supplier grants

If you are in debt to your energy supplier, you might be able to get a grant to help pay it off.

The following energy suppliers offer grants to their customers:

Priority Services Register 

All large gas and electricity companies, as well the gas and electricity grids, offer a range of free services to their most vulnerable customers including residents of a pensionable age and those with additional health needs.

Joining the Priority Service Register entitles you to the following free services:

  • A gas appliance and installation safety check (if everyone in the home is eligible)
  • Quarterly meter readings
  • Help in moving a meter if it is in an inconvenient position
  • A personal password system for gas and electricity staff to use every time they call at the person’s home, to confirm they are genuine
  • Help if they have difficulty in using certain appliances
  • Bills sent to a friend or family member on their behalf
  • Bills supplied in different formats, such as large print or Braille, by cassette or in a different language

Some energy companies offer extra services to residents. Most energy companies require you to be on their priority service register before offering reduced bills for vulnerable customers, otherwise known as a ‘social tariff’.

Thames Water

Thames Water has designed WaterSure and WaterHelp schemes to reduce the cost to households in need of extra support. This includes low-income households, households with large families and those who have a water-dependent medical condition.

Rent and Council Tax

If you're on a low income you may be able to get help with paying your rent and your Council Tax. You may also be eligible for Housing Benefit or a Discretionary Housing Payment to help with housing costs.  

Local Assistance Scheme

For residents who receive welfare benefits who are subject to serious hardship, the Crisis Assistance scheme can help with the purchase of food and fuel and a Community Care Grant can help with the purchase of furniture and white goods.

Benefits calculators

Find out what benefits you could be entitled to.

TV Licence

TV licenses are free if you're aged 75 or over and you or your partner are in receipt of Pension Credit. Find out more about free TV Licensing.


Social tariffs are cheaper broadband and phone packages for people claiming Universal Credit, Pension Credit and some other benefits. Some providers call them ‘essential’ or ‘basic’ broadband.

They are delivered in the same way as normal packages, just at a lower price.

Find out more about cheaper broadband and phone packages.

Help with transport

We are working with cycle hire companies to provide low cost bicycle, e-bike, cargo bike and e-cargo bike options, including a Try Before You Bike scheme where you can see for free if cycling is for you. Visit our Cycling page for details.

There are also a range of car clubs in the borough that can save you the costs of owning or using your own car.

If you are unemployed and receiving Universal Credit or Jobseekers Allowance, you may be eligible for a travel discount.

Help for pet owners

The RSPCA is committed to ensuring that animals do not pay the price of the cost of living crisis. 

They have launched a new cost of living hub to provide advice and support for struggling pet owners. It’s constantly being updated with signposts to pet food banks, advice and support for vet bills, information about pet insurance, and tonnes of other resources. 

They are also working strategically with partners and organisations across the country to provide financial support for smaller rescues and veterinary vouchers for pet owners to ensure that pets stay in the home rather than get abandoned. They have launched a partnership with Farehare which will ensure pet food and veterinary treatments are provided for pet owners who are struggling at hundreds of food banks across England and in all the food banks in Wales. 

Free data

The National Databank is providing free data to 500,000 people in need via the Good Things Foundation’s network of community partners, in partnership with Virgin Media O2, Vodafone, and Three. There is also help with free data from O2 via their app.

Find out about National Databank.

Free COVID tests

Frontline workers in Wandsworth can claim free COVID-19 lateral flow tests, which are available from some borough libraries.

Contact the hub

You can contact our Cost of Living Hub to get information and advice on the cost of living crisis, including where to get help about:

  • Financial benefits
  • Family and child care costs
  • Finding your nearest warm Space

You can call the hub for free on 0808 175 3339 between 9am and 5pm, Monday to Friday.