Environmental permit

If you are a business wanting to carry out processes that may cause emissions to land, air or water you must apply for an environmental permit.

The Environmental Permitting Regulations (EPR) for England and Wales introduced three separate, but linked, systems of pollution control, all of which need an environmental permit to operate. It is an offence to operate without a permit.

Types of installations - Parts A (1 and 2) and B

The Environment Agency regulates industry with the greatest potential of causing pollution to land, air or water. These are known as Part A (1) installations and are regulated under the Integrated Pollution and Prevention and Control (IPPC) system. For example:

  • Large iron and steel foundries
  • Brickworks
  • Chemical production
  • Waste disposal

We regulate industries with less potential to pollute the environment. These are known as Part A (2) activities, which are regulated under the Local Authority Integrated Pollution Prevention and Control (LA-IPPC). These cover similar activities to Part A (1) installations, but on a smaller scale.

We also regulate Part B activities as part of Local Authority Pollution Prevention and Control (LAPPC). Permit conditions for Part B activities only cover emissions to air. These include dry cleaners, paint spraying operations, waste oil burners, crematoria and petrol stations.

For more information see environmental permits (GOV.UK).

Fees and charges

Fees for Environmental permits (GOV.UK)

How to apply

Download the appropriate application form:

You should return three copies of your completed application form, together with the appropriate fee, to the address at the top of this page.

How to vary an existing permit

If your company already holds a permit, you can:


Consumer complaints about a premise with an environmental permit

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Consumer complaints about a premise without an environmental permit

If you want to make a complaint about a premise with an environmental permit, you can report it online.

European services directive

If you think that we have not complied with the European services directive by imposing requirements or conditions in respect of your application that are discriminatory, unfair or disproportionate, contact the UK SOLVIT Centre.

Installations and inspections

We currently regulate approximately 100 Part B installations and mobile plants; which we inspect regularly to ensure compliance with the conditions of their permits.

View public register of existing Part B installations.

We currently regulate no Part A(1) or Part A(2) installations.

Health and safety

Before setting up any business in the UK, you must ensure that it will comply with the relevant health and safety regulations. 

Further information on health and safety.

Trade associations and other sources of information

Contact us 

 You should contact us  if:

  • Your permit is refused
  • You are unhappy with an imposed condition 
  • You have a query about your permit
  • You want to make a complaint about a premise with an environmental permit, such as a concern about noise or pollution

If you want to make a complaint about a premise with an environmental permit, you can report it online.

Regulatory Services Partnership (serving Merton, Richmond and Wandsworth Councils)
Merton Civic Centre
London Road