Tips to get active if you don't have time
Being active is really important for both body and mind. This is because being active helps to keep your heart healthy, keeps your muscles, bones and joints strong and can help improve balance.
Time to get moving!
Moving more can also help you sleep better, which helps the brain rest and recharge.
Being active can also prevent you from getting depression and other mental health problems as well as lowering your risk of heart disease and type 2 diabetes. So it is time to get moving!
Fitting some physical activity into your day is easier than you think. Advice and support on being more active can be found on Public Health England's One You.
Make an easy start
- Parking further away can be a quick way to get some extra walking. If you end up on the furthest side of the car park, or even a couple of streets away, the walk to and from the car will do you good
- Try getting off the bus a stop early and walking fast (like you're late for an appointment) the rest of the way home
- Carry your groceries home - carrying heavy bags is great for your arms
- Swap the school run for a school walk or school cycle
- If you're nipping out to the shop to get a pint of milk, walk or cycle instead of driving
Step it up
- Try walking or cycling to work if you live close enough. It can work out lots cheaper in the long run
- If you travel by train, standing rather than sitting means that your body is working harder. And choosing to use the stairs or walking up the escalator also means that you are getting your heart pumping
Ready to do more?
Perhaps you could try jogging to or from work, in your lunch break, or somewhere else that you go regularly, like a friend's house? You could start off with part of the journey and work up to the whole thing over a few weeks.
You will get a great sense of achievement.
Rent a bike
Would you like to try cycling but don't have a bike? Maybe you want to introduce friends or family who haven't cycled before.
Renting a bike is a great way to get started.
Santander Cycle Hire is the easiest way to get on a bike quickly. It's great if you want to hire a bike for a short time, and is available to everyone over 14-years-old.
Find out more about cycling in Wandsworth.