Preventing homelessness when leaving the armed forces

If you are leaving HM armed forces you have the right to help with finding somewhere to live.

Types of assistance 

Housing advice and assistance is available for people who are due to leave the armed forces or those who have left within the last five years. The type of assistance we can give depends on your situation

Joint Service Housing Advice Office

You can get help through your housing advice office. They provide information and advice for you and your dependants, especially if you are about to return to civilian life. Joint Service Housing Advice Office01252 787574

Duty to refer

You can also be referred for housing assistance to any council by your housing advice officer (ask them about the new law called ‘duty to refer’). See our website for how they can make a referral on your behalf.

If you don't have anywhere to live, you can get help from your local council. You will have a priority need if you are vulnerable because of your time in HM armed forces.

Other organisations