Apply for a Temporary Exemption Notice

If you rent out a property which requires a licence but you intend to make the property one which will no longer require a licence, you must apply for a Temporary Exemption Notice.

You can apply for a Temporary Exemption Notice if you are taking active steps to ensure the property does not require a mandatory licence. For example, reducing the number of tenants to less than five people or removing all tenants and allowing a single family to occupy the property.

If your property requires a mandatory licence, you cannot legally serve a section 21 notice for possession without a Temporary Exemption Notice.


A Temporary Exemption Notice lasts for three months and after expiry, you can apply for one further Temporary Exemption Notice lasting for a further three months.

After this time, if the property still requires a licence, you must submit an HMO licence application without delay.

What we need from you

We will need the following details from you:

  • Details of owner
  • Reason for application
  • Details of application

Start request