Report a filthy or verminous property
Sometimes properties may become untidy and dirty because people find it difficult to look after themselves and their home. If this results in personal hygiene issues, smells, accumulations of waste, or infestations of pests and there is a real risk to the health of the occupier and others such as neighbours, you can report this to us.
Before you start
We have a statutory duty to investigate complaints about properties which are in a filthy and/or verminous condition. This would not include properties which are untidy, unsightly or in poor repair.
You will need
- The address of the property you wish to report
- Details of the problem including photographic evidence, if possible
If you are a tenant, you will also be asked to provide the following information:
- Details of your tenancy including the type of tenancy and the amount you pay
- The names of any other occupants
- Contact details of your landlord/managing agent
- Copies of any correspondence with your landlord/managing agent if available
What happens next
We will assess your report within 5 working days (except for emergencies, in which a quicker response will be given).
If a report is received and there is a risk to health, Social Services may also become involved.