Moving in to sheltered housing

You will be given a booklet before you sign your tenancy agreement. This explains your rights and responsibilities as a sheltered housing resident.

Unless you had a secure or assured tenancy at your previous address your new tenancy will be an 'introductory tenancy'. After 12 months it will normally then become a 'secure' tenancy.

Support plan

Each new tenant has a support plan. This is agreed between you and your sheltered housing officer. 

It might include things like your next of kin, your medication or any special needs you have like a mobility difficulty or pets and their care. This helps your sheltered housing officer support you in the best way possible.


We advise you to take out contents insurance to cover furniture, carpets and personal possessions against loss, theft, fire, flood and other damage.

The council insures the building, fixtures and fittings.