Providing the best start in life
We will ensure that every child has the best start in life by supporting families and working with schools to provide quality education.
How are we doing it?
Making our schools even better
Nearly all our schools (97%) are good or outstanding. Of those, 44% are outstanding, which is twice the national average. We are also proud of the fact that nearly all our special schools are outstanding as well as having one of the best records in London for the number of children in our care who pass their GCSEs at grades A-C.
Supporting young people and families
We want every child and young person in Wandsworth to be safe from harm and abuse and reach their full potential.
We do this by working with our partners, particularly the NHS and police, to ensure that families can access the right help at the right time and by targeting more intensive to support to families who are experiencing problems. We operate a health visitor service, which provides advice and support to all families of children under five, while deploying nurses in schools who promote health and wellbeing.
We also run children’s centres, which provide a welcoming space for children and their families to have fun and learn. Parents of children up to the age of four can access funded childcare, with 30 hours of extended support available to working parents of three and four-year-olds.
Find out more about the range of services available for children and young people.
What we are doing next
- Improving school buildings and facilities
- Supporting schools to develop nursery provision
- Providing more pre-school nursery places
- Helping young people who are falling behind at school
- Training the next generation of school leaders
- Refurbishing our playgrounds
- Helping schools to provide more outdoor play equipment
- Giving young people the chance to showcase their talents in community arts programmes