Families get a Warmer Welcome in children’s centres
Published: Tuesday, January 17, 2023
- Families can keep warm and get hot food and drinks this winter
- Children’s Centres also offering a chance to meet neighbours and get advice
- Part of the council’s Warmer Spaces initiative and wider Cost of Living support
Children’s centres across the borough have opened their doors to families to give them somewhere warm, safe and welcoming to go this winter.
A Warmer Welcome at Wandsworth children’s centres are local places where families and children up to the age of five can come along for free.
There are hot drinks, food and activities, plus a chance to have a chat and meet other members of your community. You can also get advice from expert staff on other support available to families if you need it.
It is part of the council’s wider network of Warm Spaces in libraries and other community locations.
One mother said she discovered the Yvonne Carr children’s centre during Covid, and since then it has really helped her daughter’s development. “Now with this Warmer Welcome programme it’s just amazing – especially with the food and drinks. My daughter can go to Stay and Play, then we have a little lunch and then I drop her to nursery so it’s really convenient.”
Cabinet member for children Kate Stock said: “With our Warmer Welcome offer we’re providing children and families with a place and space where they can spend time, keep warm and have a hot drink and something to eat while connecting with each other and their local community. We’re supporting families by taking the pressure off the decision to heat or eat this winter.”
In total the council is spending £5m on supporting local people through the Cost of Living crisis this winter, including Warm Spaces, grants for the voluntary sector, extra money for crisis payments and schemes for families including help with paying for school uniforms and activities and food during the school holidays.
A Warmer Welcome is available at:
- York Gardens Children’s Centre, Battersea - 9am to 4pm
- Yvonne Carr Children's Centre, Battersea - 9am to 4.30pm
- Eastwood Children’s Centre, Roehampton - 9am to 4.30pm
- West Hill in the Park, Wandsworth - 9am to 4pm
- Smallwood Children’s Centre, Tooting - 9am to 4.30pm
- Franciscan Children’s Centre, Tooting - 9am to 4.30pm
Find out more about A Warmer Welcome on our Family Information Service
Find out about other Warm Spaces near you at wandsworth.gov.uk/warm-spaces
Find out about other support on the Wandsworth Cost of Living Hub