Using School Streets

You must apply for an exemption to enter an area with a School Streets scheme restriction during operational hours. This is the case whether you are a resident, business or Blue Badge holder who lives or works in the area.

This also includes eligible visitors to the area.

Controlled Parking Zone (CPZ) permit

Having a permit for the relevant CPZ or a valid blue badge will not permit you to enter the zone during the hours of operation. You will face the risk of incurring a penalty charge notice (PCN).  

While a CPZ permit or blue badge will be required to park, it does not qualify you to enter the School Streets scheme during the operational times.


An exemption from the School Streets scheme must be applied for separately. This permits the vehicle access during the times the scheme is operational.

How to apply 

Find out how to apply for a School Streets exemption.