Demolition of buildings

If you are planning to carry out demolition work you may need to let us know before you start.

When to let us know

You should notify us if the demolition is more than 50m3 in volume. This is about the size of a two storey rear extension.

In this case you should submit a demolition application form at least six weeks before the work is due to start.

We will issue a notice setting out conditions which are intended to ensure that the work is carried out safely and with no loss of public amenity.

When the demolition can start

You cannot start any demolition unless we have given a notice under Section 81 or six weeks has elapsed since you told us of the intention to start the demolition.

This period is required to allow time us to consult other interested parties. We will consult as quickly as possible and in many cases will be able to give a notice within seven to fourteen days.

Who to notify

If you are carrying out the demolition it is your responsibility to consult occupiers of adjacent buildings and the public utilities (electricity, gas and water authorities).

Where we give notice under Section 81 we will also give a copy to the owners and occupiers of any building adjacent to the demolition site.

Burning material on site

The Fire Service and the Health and Safety Executive must also be given a copy of the Section 81 notice if it is proposed to burn material on the site.


Expenses incurred by us regarding the issue of a notice and supervision of work on site may be recovered from you.

View demolition charges.

What other permission you might need

Planning permission may also be required for some types of demolition and you may need to obtain a party wall agreement with any adjoining owner.