Correct a marriage or civil partnership registration

If an error is discovered on a marriage certificate, it may be possible for a correction to be made. This process is used when incorrect information is given unknowingly.

A legal record can only be corrected by making a formal application and paying the statutory fee. Marriage or civil partnership register entries must be referred for approval by the Registrar General.

Correct a marriage certificate

In order to apply for a correction, an application form needs to be completed stating what the error is and how it was made.

Documentary evidence showing the correct information will need to be produced in order for the correction to be authorised. Information on what will be accepted as documentary evidence can be found in the guidance notes.

Once the correction is authorised by the General Register Office, both parties to the marriage, or their nominated witnesses, will need to attend an appointment to witness the correction and sign the marginal note.

Where to apply

An application can be made directly to GRO or at the local Register Office where the marriage registration is held.

If an application is made through the local Register Office the original documents can be photocopied and certified.

You can also make your application through us by bringing the completed form and documentary evidence to the Register Office from Monday to Friday between 9am and 4pm.

Correct a civil partnership certificate

An application for a correction needs to be made directly to the General Register Office (GRO) as corrections can only be made by them. You can call GRO on 0300 123 1837.