ULEZ grants: Sustainable Travel Financial Assistance Scheme

Our £1m ULEZ grant scheme provides financial assistance to help Wandsworth residents on lower incomes sell, replace or dispose of motor vehicles (cars, vans or motorcycles) that do not meet the ULEZ emissions standards.

The grant scheme is known as Wandsworth’s ULEZ Sustainable Travel Financial Assistance.


You may still be eligible for a £1,000 ULEZ grant if you have already replaced, sold or disposed of a non-compliant vehicle which you owned on 30 January 2023, and you meet the other criteria.

To apply, you must live within Wandsworth and be (or have been) the registered keeper of the vehicle you are applying with. 


You can apply for any motor vehicle (cars, vans or motorcycle).

The vehicle must have been registered with the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) to you, at your address, at 30 January 2023. Vehicles replaced, sold or disposed of before 30 January 2023 or purchased after 30 January 2023 are ineligible.

The vehicle, if not already sold, replaced or disposed of, must also have valid insurance, road tax and MOT and not meet the ULEZ emissions standards.


You must be in receipt of at least one of the benefits below:

  • Pension Credit
  • Universal Credit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Housing Benefit
  • Council Tax Reduction
  • Income Support
  • Jobseeker's Allowance
  • Employment and Support Allowance
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Personal Independence Payment
  • Disability Living Allowance
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment
  • War Pensioners' Mobility Support
  • Carer's Allowance
  • Severe Disablement Allowance
  • Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit
  • Constant Attendance Allowance

Residents who are carers but do not receive Carer's Allowance are also eligible.

Grant payments

For cars, vans and motorcycles there is a single payment option of £1,000.

Benefits and tax status

Some low income, means-tested benefits are affected by the amount of money you have in savings. The ULEZ grant payment may be treated as savings for any means-tested benefits you claim. 

We will have no liability to you if the ULEZ motor vehicle (car, van or motorcycle) scrappage scheme grant payment affects any means-tested benefits you receive.

Check your vehicle

If your vehicle doesn't meet the ULEZ emissions standards, you will need to pay a daily charge to drive it within the zone, which now operates across all London boroughs.

 Our scheme encourages vehicle owners to use a vehicle that meets the emissions standards if they need to drive or to use public transport, walk or cycle where possible rather than pay the daily charge.

You can only apply for a grant payment to help replace or dispose of a vehicle that does not meet the ULEZ emissions standards.

You can check your vehicle on the TfL website.

Application stages

Once you have registered a new account or logged in to the grants portal, the application process follows these steps.

Check and apply online

You will need to send us evidence that you and your vehicle qualify for the scheme.

We will aim to process your application within 10 working days of receipt and contact you by email to let you know if it has been approved.

Sell or dispose of your vehicle

If your application is approved (and you have not already sold or scrapped your vehicle), we'll ask you to provide proof of sale or scrappage. If you scrap your vehicle, this should be done at Authorised Treatment Facility (ATF). They will issue you with a Certificate of Destruction. You will have one month to provide us with the evidence.

Supply evidence

Once your application has been approved and you have sold or disposed of your vehicle, you will need to provide us with the evidence.

If you've scrapped a vehicle, you need to upload an image of the Certificate of Destruction (as issued by an ATF).

If you've sold a vehicle, you need to upload an image of the DVLA confirmation letter you're no longer the Registered Keeper of the vehicle (usually sent within 4 weeks from when you send off the V5C logbook slip to notify the change. Residents who have sold their vehicle to family members or other Wandsworth residents will not be eligible for the grant.  

If you've retrofitted a vehicle, you will need to upload an image of the CVRAS retrofit invoice and CVRAS vehicle installation certificate. These must be dated after the date of the letter we send you confirming your eligibility for the scheme.

Additional evidence

We may ask you to supply further evidence. You can opt to make a new application instead.

If you have applied and had a rejection letter and your circumstances have changed or you can supply new evidence, then you will need to submit a new application.

Receiving your payment

We will process your grant payment once we have received and verified the evidence that you have sold, replaced or retrofitted your vehicle. We aim to do this within 10 working days.

Apply now

There are different ways to apply depending on the status of your vehicle.

Already scrapped or sold  Planning to scrap or sell 

Make sure you have everything you need before you begin your application. 

You will need:

  • A valid email address
  • Photo ID which matches your name and the name on the vehicle's registration document
  • To have all of the required documents ready


You will need to supply:

  • Proof of address with a driving licence or utility bill/bank statement dated within the last 3 months
  • Proof of name with a driving licence, passport or UK Blue Badge
  • Benefits eligibility letter or Universal Credit statement dated within the last 12 months
  • V5C log book
  • Valid insurance certificate


The scheme has limited funds and operates on a first come, first served basis. We may review how this scheme is operating (such as length of the scheme, eligibility checks, grant payment options and more) and make changes when necessary.

By applying to the scheme you are confirming you agree that information provided will be used to process this application and will be checked with sources as allowed by the law. You also understand this information can be used for the prevention and detection of criminal offences. 


If you would like help to make an application or have any questions about the ULEZ grant scheme, please contact us.

If you have applied for the scheme but have changed your mind, you can tell us that you would like to withdraw your application.

Email ulez@wandsworth.gov.uk