Speaking at committee meetings (deputations)
A deputation is a group of people appointed to take part in a formal process on behalf of a wider group.
The member of the public will usually represent a larger group of people or organisation with a cause related to the purpose of the committee. This representative is known as a deputation.
The Council and the Executive do not normally receive deputations. Committees and sub-committees may agree to receive deputations. This adds the opinions, feedback and concerns of the person/group wishing to speak to the committee agenda.
At the committee meeting
People hoping to speak should, in the first instance, take seats in the public gallery. If the committee agree to hear to them they will be invited into the committee room.
They will sit at the end of the table while a designated speaker addresses the committee and answers questions put to them by the committee.
Only one person may speak for up to ten minutes and groups can consist of up to ten people. The committee can agree to a longer period.
Other members of the group may speak in reply to questions from members of the committee. Once members of the group have spoken they will be asked to sit back in the public gallery while the committee go on to discuss the matter.
If you require further general guidance about how to request a deputation to a committee, please contact the Head of Executive and Committee Services on 020 8871 6005.
Planning and licensing
The Planning Applications Committee will receive written representations from applicants and the public. These are submitted to the Planning Service as part of the consultations on a residential or business planning proposal. These submissions will be summarised in the reports to the committee.
Special arrangements apply to the Licensing Sub-Committees, which function with objectors and applicants taking part in a 'hearing' before the sub-committee.
Find out more
Further details about submitting a deputation request can be requested from the committee secretary of the relevant Overview and Scrutiny Committee:
- Adult Care and Health Overview and Scrutiny Committee – Laura.Campbell@richmondandwandsworth.gov.uk
- Community Services and Open Spaces Overview and Scrutiny Committee - Ian.Millichap@richmondandwandsworth.gov.uk
- Education and Children's Services Overview and Scrutiny Committee - Rachel.Williamson@richmondandwandsworth.gov.uk
- Finance and Corporate Resources Overview and Scrutiny Committee - Davena.Palmer@richmondandwandsworth.gov.uk
- Grants (Overview and Scrutiny) Sub-Committee - Emma.Calvert@richmondandwandsworth.gov.uk
- Housing and Regeneration Overview and Scrutiny Committee - Thayyiba.Shaah@richmondandwandsworth.gov.uk
- Strategic Planning and Transportation Overview and Scrutiny Committee - Ian.Millichap@richmondandwandsworth.gov.uk