The open register
The open register is an extract of the electoral register, but is not used for elections. It can be bought by any person, company or organisation. For example, it is used by businesses and charities to confirm name and address details.
Your name and address will be included in the open register unless you ask for them to be removed. Removing your details from the open register does not affect your right to vote.
When you register, you will receive notification of your opt out status by post. This will be based on whether you ticked the opt-out box whilst registering.
We will also confirm whether you are included on the open register on your annual Household Enquiry Form which you will receive in the Annual Canvass.
Opt in or out of the open register
To opt in or out, email email@example.com with your full name and address.
Buy the open register
If you wish to buy the open register, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Council does not set the charges that are made for purchasing the register. The cost is set out in the 'Representation of the People' Acts and is the same across the United Kingdom.
The cost payable will depend on how many names appear on the Register for the area you purchase.
- Paper copy is £10 plus £5 per 1,000 names.
- Data format is £20 plus £1.50 per 1,000 names.
Area for purchase
- The smallest area for purchase is any individual polling district.
- The largest is the entire borough, covering three Parliamentary constituencies and 20 borough wards.
- The cost of the full Register is the same as for the open register.