Accessing your personal information (Subject Access Request)
The General Data Protection Regulations and the Data Protection Act 2018 provides a right of access to an individual’s personal data.
Read our Subject Access Request Policy.
Our commitment to you
We promise to:
- Only ask for information we need.
- Let you know why we need it.
- Make sure access is only given to those who need it.
- Only keep it for as long as we need to.
- Protect and keep safe the information you provide us.
- Value the personal information you give to us and make sure we respect that trust.
- Not sell your information for marketing purposes.
- Provide training to staff who handle personal information.
- Respond appropriately if personal information is not used or protected properly.
- Respect your information rights and abide by all relevant privacy laws.
In return, we ask you to:
- Give us accurate information.
- Tell us as soon as possible if there are any changes, such as a new address.
This helps us keep your information reliable and up to date.
How to access your information
You can obtain the information in writing, over the telephone, or using our online form.
Your request for personal information must include:
- Name and address
- Proof of identity
- Proof of address
- Details on what information you are asking for, including timescales where applicable. In order for us to be able to process a request efficiently the request should include details of the information required, for example services received and departments which may hold the information.
Copies of driving licence, passport or anything official containing your photograph are accepted as proof of your person. Proof of address will include bills (but not phone bills) such as utility and Council Tax bills. The proof of identity will need to be verified by a Council Officer. If you are contacting us by email, please ensure you attach the proof of identity.
Where information is requested by a third party, authorisation must be provided by the person who the information relates to. In some cases we will need to verify the third party’s status.
Data Protection Team
Ground floor, Civic Centre
44 York Street
Telephone: 020 8831 6328
You can now make your request using our online form.
You will need to upload:
- Proof of identity
- Proof of address (utility bill from the last 3 months)
Applications will be processed promptly, and we aim to provide the information requested within one calendar month from the date we receive the request and proof of identity.
We can request a two-month extension if the request is complex or we have received many requests from you. We will let you know within one month of receiving the request and explain why the extension is necessary.
However, please note that there may be delays due to the Council prioritising the operational requirements of COVID-19. We remain committed to responding to your request and will reply as soon as we are able. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause. Should our response to you breach the statutory time frame you have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner.