Apply for a club premises certificate

An application for a club premises certificate can be made in one of two ways:


  • Complete the form online (GOV.UK)
  • Save a copy of the completed form for your own records
  • Make the payment using a debit or credit card
  • You do not need to send additional copies to the responsible authorities when you make an online application, as we will fulfil these requirements


You should note that the application process will not start until the fee is received.

What you need to apply for a club premises certificate

You must provide the following with your completed application form:

Club rules

You need to supply a copy of your club rules.

Operating schedule

The operating schedule explains how you propose to operate the club and promote the four licensing objectives. It includes:

  • What activities will take place
  • The proposed hours
  • The duration of the licence (if appropriate)
  • Whether alcohol will be supplied, and if so whether it will be consumed on or off the premises
  • What steps you will take to promote the licensing objectives

It should take into account the type, size, location and opening hours of the premises.

You should be aware that what you write in your operating schedule will be used to produce conditions that will be attached to your certificate. So, you should make sure that the steps you are suggesting are realistic and within your control. If a licence is granted with conditions attached requiring the implementation of such steps, the conditions will be enforceable in law and it will be a criminal offence to fail to comply with them.

Before completing your operating schedule you are strongly advised to read our Statement of Licensing Policy, which gives guidance on our policies and expectations

Plan of the premises

The plan must be clear and legible in all respects and must show:

  • The boundary of the building, including any external and internal walls and, if different, the perimeter of the premises
  • Points of access to and egress i.e. doors
  • Location of escape routes from the premises
  • The area within the premises to be used for each licensable activity
  • Fixed structures including furniture and temporarily fixed objects, such as seating, which may effect escape routes
  • Location and height of any stage or raised area relative to the floor
  • Location of any steps, stairs, elevators or lifts
  • Location of all toilets
  • Location and type of any fire safety and other safety equipment
  • Location of a kitchen, if any, on the premises

You can use a legend to explain the symbols used on the plan. Download a template to help you complete the plan.


The fee is based on the non-domestic rateable value of the premises. You must include the correct fee with your application. 

You can find details of your non-domestic rateable value on the Valuation Office Agency website.

Proof of payment

We accept BACS payments. You must ask your bank for an original or a copy of the BACS remittance advice slip, or a copy of the bank statement highlighting the transaction which must be emailed/posted to us together with your application, for our records as proof of payment. 

Alternatively, if you have made your transaction via online banking please email the confirmation/transaction document to us at or by post to:

Commercial Services Team (Licensing)
Regulatory Services & Partnership
Environmental & Regeneration
Merton Civic Centre
100 London Road

Proof of payment must be sent with the application. Failure to provide proof of payment will result in the application being placed on hold until the confirmation is received.

Notifying responsible authorities

You must submit a full copy of the application and all the accompanying documents to each of the responsible authorities (for example the Police and Fire Brigade) on the day you apply for your licence. If you do not do this, your application will be invalid.

You do not need to send a full copy of your application to the responsible authorities when you make an online application through GOV.UK, as we will fulfil these requirements

Advertise the application

You must advertise your application in the local newspaper and with a site notice(s).

Local newspaper

A notice should be published in a local newspaper on at least one occasion during the period of 10 working days starting on the day after the application was given. A copy of the newspaper advertisement should be forwarded to us

Download a template for the newspaper advert

Contact details for suitable newspapers:

Wandsworth Guardian
Newsquest South & West London 
Floors 9 & 10, Quadrant House, 
The Quadrant, 
Wandsworth and South London Press
South London Press (1865) Ltd
County House,
221-241 Beckenham Road,

Site Notices

You must advertise your application at the premises with a site notice. 

This notice must be displayed prominently at or on the premises to which the application relates detailing the application. The poster must be displayed where it can be conveniently read by the public.

The poster should be displayed for a minimum of 28 days starting on the day after the application was given to us. It should be equal or larger than A4, of pale blue colour, printed clearly in black ink or typed in black in a font of a size equal to or larger than 16. 

Download a template for the site notice.

What happens next?

We will check:

  • The application is correctly completed
  • The responsible authorities have a copy
  • If has been advertised correctly

If there is a problem

If there is a problem with the application, we may contact you for further information or return the application (or part of it) for your attention. Until these problems are solved your application is not valid and the consultation period will not start.

How long does it take to decide on an application?

There is a legal 28 day consultation period during which representations can be made both in favour, or against an application. See making representations for more information.

If we receive no representations within the 28 days, we will grant your application as applied for, subject to the conditions offered in your operating schedule.

What happens if representations are received

Where we receive relevant representations, we will hold a hearing of our Licensing Committee to decide on the application (unless all parties agree that a hearing is not necessary). We will tell you about the arrangements for the hearing.

The decision

After the Licensing Committee has heard all parties it will make its decision. It  may:

  • Grant the certificate as applied for
  • Grant the certificate but modify the conditions, or reduce the hours of licensable activity
  • Reject the whole or part of the application

This decision is usually made at the time of the hearing. This will be confirmed in writing with the reasons for the decision along with information on what you need to do if you want to appeal.


Both the applicant and anyone making representations can appeal to the local magistrates' court if they are dissatisfied with the decision. 

Displaying the licence

The club premises certificate summary must be prominently displayed on the premises and a copy of the full licence kept on the premises available for inspection.

If you lose the licence you can apply for a copy by writing to us and enclosing the required fee. We will issue you with a replacement licence as soon as possible and in any event within 14 days. 

Annual fee

An annual fee is payable by the holder of a club premises certificate on the anniversary of the grant of the certificate. The fee is based on the non-domestic rateable value of the premises.