Apply for a variation to a club premises certificate

If you want to make any changes to what is authorised by your club premises certificate, you are required to make an application to vary the certificate. Possible changes include:

  • Varying substantially the premises to which the licence relates;
  • Increasing the amount of time during a day that alcohol may be supplied;
  • Adding licensable activities;
  • Varying the hours during which a licensable activity is authorised; and
  • Amending, adding or removing relevant conditions within a certificate.

Minor variation to an existing club premises certificate

Any of the following processes are considered a minor variation

  • Minor changes to the structure or layout of a premises (for example repositioning the bar counter)
  • Small adjustments to licensing hours (this cannot include hours for alcohol)
  • Removal of irrelevant or unenforceable conditions or volunteering of new conditions

Make a minor variation

How to apply

An application for the variation of a club premises certificate can be made in one of two ways:


  • Complete the form online (GOV.UK)
  • Save a copy of the completed form for your own records
  • Make the payment of using a debit or credit card
  • You do not need to send additional copies to the responsible authorities when you make an online application, as we will fulfil these requirements


You should note that the application process will not start until the fee is received. 

What you need to apply for a variation to your club premises certificate

You must provide the following with your completed application form:

Operating schedule

The operating schedule explains how you propose to operate the club and promote the four licensing objectives following any proposed changes to the licence. It includes:

  • What activities will take place
  • The proposed hours
  • The duration of the licence (if appropriate)
  • Whether alcohol will be supplied, and if so whether it will be consumed on or off the premises
  • What steps you will take to promote the licensing objectives

It should take into account the type, size, location and opening hours of the premises.

You should be aware that what you write in your operating schedule will be used to produce conditions that will be attached to your certificate. So, you should make sure that the steps you are suggesting are realistic and within your control. If a certificate is granted with conditions attached requiring the implementation of such steps, the conditions will be enforceable in law and it will be a criminal offence to fail to comply with them.

You should also consider whether any conditions need to be removed from the current premises licence or whether any need to be amended.

Before completing your operating schedule you are strongly advised to read our Statement of Licensing Policy, which gives guidance on our policies and expectations.

Plan of the premises

If the plan of the premises is changing you must include a revised plan. The plan must be clear and legible in all respects and must show:

  • The boundary of the building, including any external and internal walls and, if different, the perimeter of the premises
  • Points of access to and egress i.e. doors
  • Location of escape routes from the premises
  • The area within the premises to be used for each licensable activity
  • Fixed structures including furniture and temporarily fixed objects, such as seating, which may effect escape routes
  • Location and height of any stage or raised area relative to the floor
  • Location of any steps, stairs, elevators or lifts
  • Location of all toilets
  • Location and type of any fire safety and other safety equipment
  • Location of a kitchen, if any, on the premises

You can use a legend to explain the symbols used on the plan. Download a template to help you complete the plan.


The fee is based on the non-domestic rateable value of the premises. You must include the correct fee with your application.

You can find details of your non-domestic rateable value on the Valuation Office Agency website.

Proof of payment

We accept BACS payments. You must ask your bank for an original or a copy of the BACS remittance advice slip, or a copy of the bank statement highlighting the transaction which must be emailed/posted to us together with your application, for our records as proof of payment. 

Alternatively, if you have made your transaction via online banking please email the confirmation/transaction document to us at or by post to:

Commercial Services Team (Licensing)
Regulatory Services & Partnership
Environmental & Regeneration
Merton Civic Centre
100 London Road

Proof of payment must be sent with the application. Failure to provide proof of payment will result in the application being placed on hold until the confirmation is received.

Notifying responsible authorities

You must submit a full copy of the application and all the accompanying documents to each of the responsible authorities (for example the Police and Fire Brigade) on the day you apply for your licence. If you do not do this, your application will be invalid.

You do not need to send a full copy of your application to the responsible authorities when you make an online application through GOV.UK, as we will fulfil these requirements.

Advertise the application

You must advertise your application in the local newspaper and with a site notice(s).

Local newspaper

A notice should be published in a local newspaper on at least one occasion during the period of 10 working days starting on the day after the day on which the application was given. A copy of the newspaper advertisement should be forwarded to us

Download a template for the newspaper advert

Contact details for suitable newspapers:

Wandsworth Guardian
Newsquest South & West London,
Floors 9 & 10, Quadrant House,
The Quadrant, 
Wandsworth and South London Press
South London Press (1865) Ltd,
County House, 
221-241 Beckenham Road,

Site Notices

You must advertise your application at the premises. This notice must be displayed prominently at or on the premises to which the application relates detailing the application. The poster must be displayed where it can be conveniently read by the public.

The poster should be displayed for a minimum of 28 days starting on the day after the application was given to us. It should be equal or larger than A4, of pale blue colour, printed legibly in black ink or typed in black in a font of a size equal to or larger than 16. 

Download a template for the site notice.

What happens next?

We will check that:

  • The application is correctly completed
  • The responsible authorities have a copy
  • If has been advertised correctly

If there is a problem

If there is a problem with the application, we may contact you for further information or return the application (or part of it) for your attention. Until these problems are solved your application is not valid and the consultation period will not start.

How long does it take to decide on an application?

There is a legal 28 day consultation period during which representations can be made both in favour, or against an application. See making representations for more information.

If we receive no representations within the 28 days we will grant your application as applied for, subject to the conditions offered in your operation schedule.

What happens if representations are received?

Where we receive relevant representations, we will hold a hearing of our Licensing Committee to decide on the application (unless all parties agree that a hearing is not necessary). We will tell you about the arrangements for the hearing.

The decision

After the Licensing Committee has heard all parties it will make its decision. It may:

  • Grant the variation as applied for
  • Grant the variation but modify the conditions of the certificate, or reduce the hours of licensable activity
  • Reject the whole or part of the application

This decision is usually made at the time of the hearing. This will be confirmed in writing with the reasons for the decision along with information on what you need to do if you want to appeal.


Both the applicant and anyone making representations can appeal to the local magistrates' court if they are dissatisfied with the decision.