If you have a problem paying your leasehold bill

Your lease agreement requires you to pay your service charges (routine and major works) within 14 days. 

If you are an owner-occupier no interest will be charged if you have made an arrangement to pay and you do not fall into arrears.

If you are having problems paying, you should contact us.

Ways to help you pay 

There are ways in which we can help you to spread the cost of your service charge or major works bill. You should contact us if you wish to discuss these.

Pay in instalments

Pay in instalments over a period of up to 10 months from the date of the bill. 

If your invoice is dated 1 January 2018 or later you will need your 10 digit invoice number beginning with 2.

If your invoice is dated prior to 1 January 2018 you will need your 8 digit account number followed by the invoice number, without a space.

Special arrangement

It may also be possible to be given longer to pay under a special arrangement.  If you wish to apply for a special arrangement you should contact us.

You cannot be granted a special arrangement if you:

  • Already have an alternative arrangement in place, or we have advised you otherwise 
  • Are an absent landlord who does not live in the property. These accounts must be paid in full within 14 days of the demand for payment

Major works 

In some circumstances you can spread the cost of major works over a number of years, subject to certain conditions, with a Major Works Loan.

Download a Major Works Loan application form.

Reduction entitlements 

We operate a scheme of discretionary reduction for service charges including major works. In certain circumstances, you may be entitled to a reduction in the amount you have to pay but this is usually only awarded on the grounds of exceptional financial hardship.

If you apply for a reduction you will be required to show proof of your income and expenditure and you will be expected to have explored all possible options to pay your service charge bill before a reduction can be made.

For further information or to request an application form contact the Property Accounts Section on 020 8871 7287 or email propertyaccounts@wandsworth.gov.uk.

What happens if you do not pay your bill

Delays in payment 

Your bill should be paid on time.

An instalment plan will be set up for you.  If you default on this arrangement the instalment plan will be cancelled and the outstanding balance will be due in full immediately. 

We will take recovery action if you do not pay on time, or if you fail to keep to an instalment arrangement. Therefore, it is important for you to pay your bill on time.

We will write to you

If you do not pay, you will receive a reminder letter, and/or a notice of county court proceedings from our legal team.

We will take legal action

We will apply to the county court for a forfeiture order to terminate your lease.  This would result in ownership of your property reverting back to the landlord.

Costs and risk to your possessions

If the matter goes to court:

  • You will have to pay additional charges for interest and legal costs. Interest will be charged at 6% above the Barclays Base Rate. 
  • Your property may be at risk

Find out how to respond to a county court claim.

More information