Household bulky item collection
The bulky waste collection service is for items that are only suitable for disposal. Get advice on re-homing items that others might want.
Before making a booking, note that:
- This service is for household waste from residential properties only
- The household bulky waste service collects your bulky items from the same location we collect your rubbish and recycling
- You can check your bulky waste collection day
- Bulky household waste can be disposed of free of charge at the Smugglers Way Household Waste and Recycling Centre.
|We can collect||We cannot collect|
|Household waste items that are too big for the bin (e.g. furniture and appliances)||Anything that cannot be lifted safely by two people. If you need such items collected, break them down into pieces that can be safely lifted|
|Appliances, such as:
Free standing electrical goods (not American style fridge/freezers)
|Any items not listed on the booking form|
|Furniture (Sofa beds need to be dismantled)||Waste from works of construction/demolition or preparatory works (e.g. rubble, plasterboard, fitted kitchen units, fitted bathtubs, fitted carpets, doors etc). See DIY waste|
|Other bulky household waste items (that can be safely lifted by two people)||Commercial or industrial waste|
|Refuse and garden waste sacks. Up to three will be charged as one bulky item. Please note that this only applies to standard sized refuse sacks. We cannot collect Hippo/builders bags designed for mechanical lifting.||Earth, stones and soil|
|Free standing glass sheets or panes; for example, table top, mirrors. They should be wrapped to allow for safe transit||Household hazardous waste collection and disposal are offered through a separate service, for example:|
|Any item that is 6ft long must be broken up into small manageable pieces for it to fit within the collection vehicle.
Sofa bed must be dismantled into manageable pieces. Each piece will be charged as 1 item.
Any item that is 6ft long and will not fit into collection vehicle
|Motor vehicle parts|
|Oil or liquids|
The standard charge for bulky waste covers a single collection of up to four items. There are extra charges for additional items.
Charges for residents:
- Minimum charge (up to four items): £20
- Each additional item: £8.90. Up to three standard sized refuse sacks will be charged as one bulky item
For residential landlords
Charges for residential landlords:
- Minimum charge (one to four items): £85.30
- Between five and eight items £170
Please note that we reserve the right for staff to refuse to lift/collect items if on inspection they reasonably believe that doing so would present a significant risk to health and safety or harm to the environment.