Standard bulky item collection
The bulky waste collection service is for items that are only suitable for disposal. Get advice on re-homing items that others might want.
Before making a booking, note that:
- This service is for household waste from residential properties only
- The standard service collects your bulky items from the same location we collect your rubbish and recycling
- You can check your bulky waste collection day. All collections scheduled for 25 December and 1 January will be undertaken on the following day.
- Bulky household waste can be disposed of free of charge at the Smugglers Way Household Waste and Recycling Centre.
What we can collect
We can collect household waste items that will not fit your bin, such as:
- Free standing domestic appliances, e.g. broken washing machines, cookers
- Broken/worn out furniture e.g. tables, chairs, sofa beds (internal mechanism must be separated from the main frame to ensure they can be lifted safely)
- Other bulky household waste items (that can be safely lifted by two people)
This service can also collect:
- Items in excess of 25kg. These must be safely liftable by two people.
- Refuse and garden waste sacks. Up to three will be charged as one bulky item. Please note that this only applies to standard sized refuse sacks. We cannot collect Hippo/builders bags designed for mechanical lifting.
What we cannot collect
This service cannot collect:
- Anything that cannot be lifted safely by two people. If you need such items collected, break them down into pieces that can be lifted safely.
- Household hazardous waste. The City of London operates a Household Hazardous Waste Collection and Disposal Serviceon our behalf for items such as household paint and chemicals. To arrange a collection, please apply online. Or see re-use options for paint.
The standard charge for bulky waste covers a single collection of up to four items. There are extra charges for additional items.
- Minimum charge (up to four items): £19.70
- Each additional item: £8.80
For residential landlords
- Minimum charge (one to four items): £84
- Between five and eight items £167.50
Please note that we reserve the right for staff to refuse to lift/collect items if on inspection they reasonably believe that doing so would present a significant risk to health and safety or harm to the environment.