Register to vote

In order to register to vote you will need to provide:

  • Name
  • Address
  • Date of birth
  • National Insurance number (this can be found on your national insurance card, or in official paperwork such as payslips, or letters about benefits or tax credits)

Register to vote on GOV.UK

Under Individual Electoral Registration all new applications are data matched with government records. Where a match cannot be found, you will be sent a request for 'evidence of identity'. 

After registering, your details will be published on the electoral register. This is updated on a monthly basis (except in October and November).

Keeping your vote if moving abroad

If you are a British citizen and you are thinking of living or working abroad, you may still be able to register to vote at Parliamentary and European Parliamentary elections from your last address here. Your right to vote in this country's elections can last up to 15 years. Find out about voting from overseas.

Registering at different addresses

You can register for more than one address if you are a student studying away from home at college or university, as you can register to vote at both your home and term-time address.

You can also register at two addresses if you have a second home and live there regularly, as long as your second home is not also in Wandsworth.

Both students and those with a second home have the right to vote in respect of both addresses at the time of a local election but must choose only one address to vote in respect of when Parliamentary elections are held.

Anonymous registration

Some people can apply to be entered anonymously on the electoral register.

Although the register is in alphabetical street order and not name order, there are some people who feel that being on the Register could affect their safety. These include victims of domestic violence, or people whose occupation would mean they must keep their identity private.

If you feel that you are at risk by your name appearing on the register you can apply to be entered anonymously. If your application is accepted, your name and address will not be shown. Any person living with you can also apply to be registered to vote in this way.

Visit the Your Vote Matters website for further information.

Council Tax and parking permits

Being on the electoral register does not mean you are automatically registered for Council Tax, or that you automatically get a parking permit.

Help with registration 

Contact Electoral Services to:

  • Get help if you are unable to register online
  • Have any questions answered