Apply for a variation to a premises licence

If you want to make any changes to what is authorised by your premises licence, you are required to make an application to vary the licence. Possible changes include:

  • Adding, amending or removing an authorised activity
  • Amending another detail of the licence, for example the plan of the premises
  • Excluding a default condition attached to the licence
  • Adding, amending or removing a condition attached to the licence by the licensing authority

Make an application

Apply for the variation of a premises licence by printing and completing the form:

You should note that the application process will not start until the fee is received.

What you need to apply for a variation to your premises licence

You must provide the following with your completed application form:


The fee is based on the licensable activity you wish to carry out at the premises. You must include the correct fee with your application.

Plan of the premises

If the plan of the premises is changing, you must include a revised plan. It must be clear and legible in all respects.

Notifying responsible authorities

You must give notice of your application to each of the responsible authorities within seven days, starting on the date on which the application was made. If you do not do this, your application will be invalid. The notice must be in the form of notice for responsible authorities:

Advertise the application

You must advertise your application in the local newspaper and with a site notice(s).

Local newspaper

A notice must be published in a local newspaper on at least one occasion during the period of ten working days starting on the day after the day on which the application was given. A copy of the newspaper advertisement should be forwarded to us

Download a template for the newspaper advert.

Contact details for suitable newspapers:

Wandsworth Guardian,
Newsquest South & West London,
Floors 9 & 10, Quadrant House,
The Quadrant, 
Surrey, SM2 5AS
Wandsworth and South London Press
South London Press (1865) Ltd,
County House, 
221-241 Beckenham Road 
Kent BR3 4UF

Site notices

You must advertise your application at the premises with a site notice. 

This notice must be displayed in a place where it can be conveniently read by members of the public from the exterior of the premises.

The poster must be displayed for a period of at least 28 days starting on the day the application was given to us. 

Download form of notice to be published variation application.

What happens next?

We will check:

  • The application is correctly completed
  • The responsible authorities have been notified
  • It has been advertised correctly

If there is a problem

If there is a problem with the application, we may contact you for further information or return the application (or part of it) for your attention. Until these problems are solved your application is not valid and the consultation period will not start.

How long does it take to decide on an application?

There is a legal 28 day consultation period during which representations can be made in relation to an application. See making representations for more information.

If we receive no representations within the 28 days, we will grant your application as applied for.

What happens if representations are received?

Where we receive relevant representations, we will hold a hearing of our Licensing Committee to decide on the application (unless all parties agree that a hearing is not necessary). We will tell you about the arrangements for the hearing.

We will aim to hold the hearing within 20 working days following the final date for the receipt of representations.

The decision

After the Licensing Committee has heard all parties it will make its decision. It may:

  • Grant the application
  • Grant the application with additional conditions
  • Reject the application

This decision is usually made at the time of the hearing. This will be confirmed in writing with the reasons for the decision along with information on what you need to do if you want to appeal.


Both the applicant and anyone making representations can appeal to the local magistrates' court if they are dissatisfied with the decision.