Housing choices to help older and disabled people to live independently

There are a range of housing choices for older and disabled people in the borough and we are committed to meeting your needs. 

If you would like to move, you may want to consider the following options:

Or you might want to make changes so you can stay in your own home.

Staying in your own home

Your home should be somewhere you feel both safe and comfortable.

We offers a range of advice and services to help you stay independent in your own home, adapting or installing home alarms in case there is an emergency.

Tenants and residents can get advice, information and apply for grants. The council can help older and disabled decorating costs and assist residents with adaptations and equipment to their homes.

The help available to residents depends on whether you rent or own your home and who you rent it from.

Help for residents
Status Your options
Council tenants Report and track repairs online or contact your estate manager.
Other tenants

You should report any repairs to your landlord. If your landlord refuses to carry out an essential repair, view our advice for private tenants.

Home owners You may be eligible for help from the council's Home Improvement Agency.

If you are an adult experiencing abuse or worried about an adult suffering from abuse you can get help from social services