Sheltered housing rent, charges and financial assistance


Rent varies from scheme to scheme.

You can pay rent in various ways:

  • Pay rent online
  • Swipe card
  • Direct debit
  • National giro (post office)
  • Barclays bank (designated branches) or through your own bank or building society
  • Standing order 

For further information read the leaflet enclosed with your rent book or talk to your sheltered housing officer.

Support charge

This is a charge for the costs of providing a dedicated sheltered housing officer and other services that are not covered by your basic rent. If you are entitled to some benefits, you will be exempt from this charge.

You are entitled to apply for a financial 'fairer charging assessment', this may mean you only have to pay a proportion of the charge.

Benefits and financial assistance

If your only income is a state pension you might be entitled to claim other benefits or income support.

To find out what you may be entitled to contact the benefits team or the Department for Work and Pensions.

Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction
Wandsworth Town Hall
London SW18 2PU

Telephone: 020 8871 8081