Our sustainability goals for Wandsworth
The council is committed to making Wandsworth:
'A community of global citizens living within environmental limits in an attractive high quality local environment'.
We have long-term ambitions for a more sustainable future.
- Demonstrating leadership on sustainability in partnership with local communities
- Reducing greenhouse gas emissions to slow down climate change and reduce reliance on fossil fuels
- Preparing for and adapting to the unavoidable effects of climate change
- Tackling consumption of resources, energy and pollution; and
- A cleaner, greener, healthier and safer borough that does not compromise the wellbeing of future generations
Our 2010 Environmental Ambition Statement sets out the council's aims in full.
Over the past few years we have made progress on environmental issues in many ways, for example:
- We signed the Nottingham Declaration on climate change in 2009, setting out our intentions to tackle both the causes and effects of climate change
- We have been awarded the Carbon Trust Standard for our work to reduce carbon emissions and our comprehensive Carbon Management Plan
- We work with stakeholders to protect and enhance space for wildlife and for community uses such as food growing.
- Our environmental planning policies aim to ensure that sustainability is designed into new buildings and plans (see the Local development framework pages)
- We encourage walking and cycling to school, support car clubs and are improving public transport and providing electric car charging points
Projects supported by the council:
- Our greener borough - initiatives for residents, businesses and groups
- Project Dirt - a community forum linking environmental projects
- Drive electric - facts and advice
Sustainable design and low-carbon energy guidance
The London Plan and Wandsworth's Local Plan require certain standards of sustainable design and construction and reductions in CO2 emissions through low-carbon and renewable energy.
The following checklist and guidance note have been prepared to help applicants for planning permission in addressing these policy requirements.
Download the Sustainability checklist and energy assessment guidance
Advice to assist applicants for planning permission in meeting the sustainable design/construction standard and reductions in CO2 emissions required by the London Plan and Wandsworth Local Plan.