A civil marriage is a secular (non-religious) ceremony that is conducted and registered by a Registrar.
The ceremony cannot have any religious content, but individual touches can be added such as non-religious music and readings.
We make a commitment to ensure that we will do all we can to make your special day a happy and memorable occasion.
You are able to get married in buildings that have been officially registered for marriages. In Wandsworth, these are:
- The Register Office. Wandsworth Register Office has five ceremony rooms within the Town Hall which you can be married in. These are the Elizabeth Room, the Victoria Room, the Alexandra Room, the Mayor's Parlour and the Grand Chamber.
- Approved venues such as a hotel, an art centre and a sporting venue.
- Places of religious worship in the district where one of you live.
- Places of religious worship outside the district in which you live, but which one of you uses as your usual place of worship.
Booking a ceremony at Wandsworth Town Hall or an approved venue
You need to check the availability of the Registrars to attend a ceremony. Your marriage or civil partnership ceremony booking is provisional until such time as you have given your notices and completed the legal preliminaries.
- A non-refundable booking fee of £50 is required at the time of booking. This will be redeemed against the ceremony and certificate fee.
- Any outstanding balance is due no later than 2 months before the ceremony. If your booking is within 2 months the full fee is payable at the time of booking.
- Any changes to your booking will incur an administrative fee.
- The Register Office reserves the right to cancel a ceremony if payment has not been received.
Read the full terms and conditions.
If you choose an approved venue you will also need to make a booking at the venue.